About our Nori Seaweed - Safety, Allergens, Certifications, Nutrition Facts
Welcome to RawNori.com!
Our Raw Organic Nori is:
- Certified Organic USDA & bioagricert
- Izumi Brand Nori is Certified Kosher By Orthodox Union
- NON-GMO Certified
- RAW - UN-Toasted Never Cooked, our nori is dried at under 85 degrees F.
- Radiation and Contaminant Free - tested in the USA.
- FREE of most common allergens
- High in Raw Nutrients!
- Best Source of Natural Iodine
- Package has a Zipper Lock Seal to reseal and retain Freshness
CERTIFIED ORGANIC & CONTAMINANT FREE
Our product is USDA Certified Organic by bioagricert as well as Kosher Certified by Orthodox Union. In addition we also test at a independent Laboratory here in the U.S. for more then 450 potential contaminants including pesticide residues and heavy metals, as well as many different Isotopes of Radiation. Out Nori has come out 100 percent "Non Detectable" in every single category. Our Nori is free from Irradiation, sewage sludge and excluded methods (genetic engineering) are never used in any phase of the production or handling of the Nori.
This seaweed (Porphyra Yezoensis) is wild grown in an open ocean environment in certified organic growing waters. It is harvested, fresh water rinsed, chopped, pressed and dried naturally into sheets in a temperature and humidity controlled warehouse.
It is Non GMO, is obtained solely from its single plant source, and is 100% said ingredient. There are no additional ingredients, additives or processing aids used in production
- This Product is Not produced using Sodium (Chilean) Nitrate
- This Product is Not derived from animals
- This Product is Not made from hydroponic/aeropunic production.
- This Product has Not been subject to any genetic engineering
- This Product is 100% said ingredient (Porphyra Yezoensis) Dried Seaweed “Nori” not a mix of lesser grade seaweeds.
We use only 1 species (Porphyra Yezoensis) in ALL of our Nori production. This species is in the Red/Purple Algae family and considered the Highest in Nutrition. ALL of our Nori Sheets, Flakes, and Powder are all made from Porphyra Yezoensis and only the top 15 to 20 percent of Harvest makes our grade for item production. The sheets, powder, and flakes are all USDA Certified Organic and Kosher Certified.
Our Nori is processed in an Organic Certified Facility that is Allergen Free. The facility does NOT process or handle any of the following ingredients:
- Peanut or its derivatives, e.g., Peanut - pieces, protein, oil, butter, flour, and mandelona nuts (an almond flavoured peanut product) etc. Peanut may also be known as ground nut.
- Tree Nuts (almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts(filberts), macadamia nuts, pecans, pine nuts (pinyon, pinon), pistachios and walnuts or their derivatives, e.g., nut butters and oils etc.
- Sesame or its derivatives, e.g., paste and oil etc.
- Milk or its derivatives, e.g., milk caseinate, whey and yogurt powder etc.
- Eggs or its derivatives, e.g., frozen yolk, egg white powder and egg protein isolates etc.
- Fish or its derivatives, e.g., fish protein, oil and extracts etc.
- Soy or its derivatives, e.g., lecithin, oil, tofu and protein isolates etc
- Wheat, triticale or their derivatives, e.g., flour, starches and brans etc. Includes other wheat varieties such as spelt, durum, kamut, emmer etc.
- Mustard or its derivatives, e.g., mustard seeds, mustard flour, ground mustard, prepared mustard etc.
- Sulphites, e.g., sulphur dioxide and sodium metabisulphites etc.
- Gluten e.g., flour, starches and brans etc. Includes other wheat varieties such as spelt, durum, kamut, emmer etc. including oat.
- Crustaceans (including crab, crayfish, lobster, prawn and shrimp) and Shellfish (including snails, clams, mussels, oysters, cockle and scallops) or their derivative, e.g., extracts etc.
*** A Special Note on Crustaceans ***
Unfortunately we cannot guarantee the nori is 100% free of shellfish contact. Seaweed is grown and harvested in an open ocean environment. While procedures are in place to make sure any traces of Crustacean / Shellfish contaminants are removed, there is always a possibility of a small presence. People with very severe Allergen Sensitivities to Shellfish should avoid eating seaweed products.
Having said that, we have very strict procedures in place to prevent Crustacean / Shellfish contamination, largely as a requirement for our Kosher Program which has a tolerance level of 0%. We had an allergen test done at a local lab in California a while back, that showed Presence of Crustaceans Allergen as "Non Detectable" at less then 1 part per million.
The nori is cleaned and strained to filter out any contaminants. The drying and packing facility only handles nori so the nori does not come into contact with any machinery that would have been in contact with shellfish during the processing or packaging stage.
We have not heard of anyone having a reaction to shellfish eating Nori specifically, as it is usually eaten with other seafoods, but is is entirely possible, so best to be cautious if there is a severe allergy.
Per Sheet of Nori (2.1gram serving)
|Calories from Fat||non detectable||kcal|
|Total Sugar||non detectable||gram|
|Total Dietary Fiber||0.82||gram|
|Monounsaturated Fat||non detectable||gram|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||non detectable||gram|
|Saturated Fat||non detectable||gram|
|Total Fat||non detectable|
|Trans Fat||non detectable|
Per 100 grams of Nori (3.5oz)
|Calories from Fat||non detectable||kcal/100g|
|Total Sugar||non detectable||g/100g|
|Total Dietary Fiber||39.2||g/100g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||non detectable||g/100g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||non detectable||g/100g|
|Saturated Fat||non detectable||g/100g|
|Total Fat||non detectable|
|Trans Fat||non detectable|
Nori Super Facts:
1) Nori Sheets are close to 40% Protein by weight. That's twice the Protein of Soy Beans and 4 times the protein of Beef Liver.
2) Nori Sheets have more than 10 times the Calcium by weight then Milk and Dairy Products
3) Nori contains more vitamin C by weight then Raw Oranges
4) Nori is the best source of safe Iodine - see iodine section below for more details
5) Nori is Rich in essential Amino Acids such as Methionine, Threonine, Tryptophan, Alanine, and Glycine
6) Nori is found to contain Anti Oxidant compounds such as Chlorophyll and Phycoerythrin and is a great source of Polysacorides which help modulate Immune response, and has beneficial effects on gut function and micro biota acting as a prebiotics.
7) Results suggest that porphyrn from this species effectively decreases LDL Cholesterol while increasing High Density Lipoproteins or "Good Cholesterol"
8) Nori is very high in Omega 3 and in fact has 16 times higher Omega 3 then Omega 6 which make it one of the best sources of Omega 3 available. Just one sheet (3 grams) of Nori has more Omega 3 then 2 FULL AVOCADOS. The Polyunsaturated Fats play an important role in regulating inflammation and proper brain and nervous system functioning.
9) Nori is considered one of the best sources of Biologically available nutrients. It is high in Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, and in fact is much higher in vitamins (A,B1,B2,C) and Antioxidants then nearly all vegetables.
Our Nori is available in Flakes, Powder and Full size sushi Nori sheets. The sheets come sealed in a package of 50 or 10 sheets.
RawNori Nori Seaweed is a GREAT source of naturally occurring iodine for healthy living! Most people get their daily iodine from SALT that has iodine added to it! So that means if you want to get enough iodine you have to eat SALT..??!! How about we go back to the source and get it the old fashioned way, the natural way nature intended: FROM THE SEA! Nori seaweed is the most balanced and regulated sea vegetable for iodine intake. Please read below for all the details on why Nori is a great safe way to get your iodine intake, but also why some other seaweeds may be the wrong way to go about getting your iodine.
Our raw Nori has 18.6 mcg / gram of iodine.
Each Nori sheets is 2.1 grams total weight, thus each Nori sheet has 39 mcg of iodine
The recommended daily intake of Iodine is 150 mcg.This means 3.8 sheets of Nori per day will get your 150 mcg daily intake covered!
Most fruit and veg actually have very little natural iodine, a banana has only 3 mcg.. that means 50 bananas per day to get the requirement ! Nori is the best way for a raw foodist (or anyone on a healthy living plan who doesn’t eat iodized salt, dairy, fish, packaged food) to get adequate iodine.
Other types of seaweed are very high/ too high in iodine. Nori has far lower levels of iodine than other seaweeds such as kelp / kombu. Nori has a good low amount per sheet that can be easily regulated to meet your daily requirement but also know you are not getting too much. In comparison, Kombu seaweed has 2200% of the RDA in one sheet!! Waaaay too much. It is way to get too much iodine with other types of seaweed. And the iodine content in other seaweeds can vary greatly, further leading to unknowns in your daily requirements.
The recommended upper limit of too much iodine per day is 1100 mcg = 28 sheets of nori per day! So anywhere between 4 – 27 sheets per day is in the good zone of meeting the requirement without going above the upper limit. While we will love it if you eat 27 sheets per day,, we don’t know anyone who does..haha! But a daily serving of a few sheets or some flakes/powder in your diet is the way to go.
Can you have too much iodine? Yes. However, the “lethal dose” of iodine when it comes to our nori sheets would be 820,000 sheets eaten in one sitting !!!! That’s right 800 thousands sheets in one sitting. So, we’re pretty sure you’re safe there ;)
Compare the amounts of iodine in seaweeds:
Nori 18.6 mcg/ gram
Ground Kelp up to 8000 mcg/ gram
Kelp Whole up to 2500 mcg/ gram
Dulse 150 mcg/ gram
Seaweeds are usually considered high in iodine content, and can cause problems for thyroid patients. However there are many types of seaweed. Korea, and Japan have over 60 species of seaweed. Food preparation can affect iodine content of seaweed. Nori has a SMALL amount of iodine, compared to Miso soup. Kelp flavored stock is used to make miso soup. The soup then has over 1000 mcgs of iodine! The cooking in water releases the iodine into the broth. This level of iodine can cause progression of thyroid disease in susceptible thyroid patients. All seaweeds are not equal in causing problems. Ground kelp has 8000 mcg/gram, Kelp 2500, Dulse 150, and Nori has only 16. Young seaweed, and floating seaweed have higher iodine than sundried seaweed.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING NORI & THE JAPAN EARTHQUAKE DISASTER:
The Tsunami disaster occurred off the northern coast of Japan on the Pacific Ocean side. Our Nori growing site is in a 4000 acre Certified Organic growing area located below the southern tip of Japan in the Sea of Japan near the China coast. To be classified as Internationally Certified Organic growing waters, the area is weekly tested and must have an minimum of 3 year continuous "Clean" results to make this classification. The "Ecocert" program based in France, is much stricter then the USDA Organic program.
The prevailing winds and currents near Japan, travel from south to north, eventually circling around and head from north to south down the western coast of the United States. This means the affected waters were traveling in the opposite direction, from the disaster away from our growing site, and never coming into contact with our growing site. Even though there was virtually no threat to our geographic location, our factory conducted Daily Radiation Testing early on with continued testing still on going. All tests have shown 100 % non detectable results.
In addition, we send samples to an independent Lab located here in the U.S. (New Jersey) We test for all known isotopes of Radiation from earthquake disaster and have been found 100 % non detectable in all categories.
Please be assured that our Raw Organic Nori is safe and unaffected. We will continue to constantly monitor our supply to ensure the safety of our customers.